Yankton County Register of Deeds Office

Phone: (605) 260-4400, Ext 5
Fax: (605) 668-9682

Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday

Mailing Address:
321 W. Third St., Suite 205
Yankton, S.D., 57078

Welcome to the Yankton County Register of Deeds Office. Our office is located on the second floor of the Yankton County Government Center at 321 W. Third St., in downtown Yankton.

Quick Links

2019 Report


Brian J. Hunhoff

Register of Deeds Send an Email







The Register of Deeds provides many services to the county. This office is the primary county record-keeping and archival office for vital statistics (birth, death and marriage records), burial permits, land records (such as plats, deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, assignments, etc.), military discharge records, hospital liens, mechanics liens, county, state and federal tax liens, powers of attorney, fictitious name filings, UCC filings and corner records.

Our office is also responsible for the issuance of marriage licenses, as well as certified copies of birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates.

2019 Report

Yankton County Register of Deeds staff collected $303,522 in fees in 2019. That total includes $116,771 in Land Transfer Fees from $116.8 million in sales of residential properties, commercial properties and farmland last year.

Yankton County Register of Deeds staff completed over 8,000 transactions in 2019 involving vital records, land records, copy requests and liens. Some of the records, reports and documents processed by ROD in 2019 include:

• 1,308 death records
• 1,096 birth records
• 324 marriage records
• 162 marriage licenses
• 161 burial permits
• 991 land transfers
• 947 deeds
• 809 mortgages
• 714 satisfactions
• 120 addendums
• 108 easements
• 89 assignments
• 46 plats
• 669 copy requests
• 1,109 county liens
• 166 misc. liens

Frequently Asked Questions

See below for the most frequently asked questions regarding deed registration
  • What is the fee to record a real estate document?

    The fee to record most real estate documents is $30 for the first 50 pages, and $2 for each additional page over 50 pages. For a complete list of recording fees, open the above link called Fees.

  • What is the cost to purchase a copy of a real estate document?

    To purchase an uncertified copy of any recorded real estate document, the fee is $1.00 per page.

    To purchase a certified copy of any recorded real estate document, the fee is $5.00 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page.

    Computer printouts of items such as mortgage lists or deed lists cost 20 cents per page.

  • How do I obtain a marriage license?


    1. Both the bride and groom must be present at the same time to sign the marriage license application in our presence.

    2. Proof of age must be determined by showing a driver's license, certified copy of a birth certificate or any photographic identification which includes the applicant's name and birth date. Also, Social Security numbers are required on the application form, so be sure you know your SSN.

    3. The application is only good for 90 days. You may obtain the license on a Friday and get married the next day, or even that very same day if you wish. However, you cannot purchase the license in July and then get married in December. It is to be used within 90 days.

    4. A marriage license may be purchased from any County Register of Deeds Office in South Dakota and the marriage can be solemnized in any county in the state, but you cannot use a S.D. marriage license to get married in another state.

    5. The cost of a marriage license is $40.00. The preferred method of payment is cash.


    1. Individuals who are age 16 or 17 must have the consent of a parent or guardian to obtain a marriage license. The parent can either come with the bride and groom upon getting the license or fill out a notarized "Parental Consent Marriage Form." Once the form has been filled out and signed in front of a notary, it may be submitted to the Register of Deeds when the bride and groom appear to obtain the marriage license.

    2. South Dakota law does not permit marriage of those under the age of 16.

    3. No blood test or waiting period is required to obtain a marriage license in South Dakota.

    4. The marriage must be solemnized within 90 days from the purchase of the license or the license becomes void.

    5. Marriages in South Dakota can be solemnized by a justice of the S.D. Supreme Court, a judge of the circuit court, a magistrate, a mayor, either within or without the corporate limits of the municipality from which the mayor was elected, or any person authorized by a church to solemnize marriages. See SDCL 25-1 for specific statutes.

    6. Once a couple has been married, the individual who solemnizes the marriage must sign and return the license to a County Register of Deeds office in South Dakota within 10 days. If this is not done, there will be no state record of the marriage.

  • How do I get a copy of my birth certificate?

    The cost to obtain a certified birth, death or marriage certificate is $15.00 per record. Anyone wishing to purchase one of these records must fill out an application form (see links at left) and provide proof of identity.

    Proof of identity can be presented in the form of a driver's license, military I.D., state I.D., passport, visa, notarized signature on application, or two other items with applicant's name, such as a social security card, credit card, bank statement, rent receipt or utility bill.

    Persons eligible to obtain certified vital records include the person named on the document or his/her spouse, children, parents, legal guardian, siblings, grandchildren, grandparents, or a designated agent. Examples of designated agents include attorneys, physicians and funeral directors.

  • How old are the records in your office?

    Our Yankton County land records date from 1865 to present.

    Our Yankton County birth records date from 1905 to present.

    Our Yankton County death records date from 1905 to present.

    Our Yankton County marriage records date from 1890 to present.

    In addition to the above-listed Yankton County vital records, our office can provide certified copies of statewide birth records dating back to 1905; statewide death records dating back to 1960; and statewide marriage records dating back to 1950.

    The state of South Dakota also has a partial statewide list of birth records more than 100 years old (see Department of Health website, link above).

  • What do I do if my original deed is lost?

    If you have lost or misplaced your original deed (or any other real estate document), you can obtain a certified copy from the Yankton County Register of Deeds office of any land record filed in this county. A certified copy has the legal validity of the original document.

  • What are the document standards for recording real estate?

    There must be a three-inch margin at the top of the first page. The remaining sides of all pages must have a one-inch margin. A "prepared by" statement is required in the upper left side of the three-inch margin at the top of the first page. White paper must be used. Text can be no smaller than 10-point. (See SDCL43-28-23, link above)

  • How do I add or change names on a deed? (I want to put my new spouse/child on with me.)

    Preparing legal documents is a complex, exacting process. A deed would have to be prepared transferring ownership of the land from whoever has it, to the names they now want on the property. This is not something that most people without legal training should attempt to do. We always encourage a customer to seek legal counsel to change title to their real estate. We do not keep forms for transfer of real estate, although some stationery stores may have them.

    This office is not permitted to complete forms, help customers fill out forms, or check the forms to make sure this is what the customer intended. As Register of Deeds, our purpose is to file those documents that are in recordable form. Once the documents are recorded, they must meet the satisfaction of a title examiner. A title examiner is a certified abstractor or an attorney. The title examiner does not usually come into play until the property is about to be sold. This may be several years later when someone that should have signed the document may have died, thus causing a probate or a quiet title action, which can be very costly to the customer.

    We always encourage the customer to seek legal advice for real estate documents. If you do not have an attorney, the South Dakota Bar Association maintains a list. They can be reached at (605) 224-7554 or the state Watts line of 1-800-952-2333. The mailing address is: S.D. Bar Association, 222 East Capitol Ave., Pierre, S.D., 57501.

  • Does your County do e-recording?

    As of April 1, 2020, we will accept certain documents (see list under documents) for delivery via the e-recording company CSC. To sign up with them, or to get more information about the process, please contact:
    CSC® eRecording:

  • Phone: (866) 652-0111

  • Email CSC Recording Here

  • Website:


Possible Quorum
Wednesday, October 21, 2020

There will be a possible quorum of the Yankton County Commissioners and the Yankton County Planning Commissioners on Monday, October 26, 2020 at the Yankton Archery Center for the Farm Forum Event at 7:00 pm. The public is welcome to attend.

Yankton County
Friday, October 9, 2020

There will be a Drainage Commission Meeting on Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 7:00 pm in the Commission Meeting Room. To learn more about this meeting and what it will be about CLICK HERE.

Press Release
Thursday, September 3, 2020

The Yankton County Office of Emergency Management has issued a press release regarding the measures that Yankton County is taking to keep the staff and public safe during the COVID-19 pandemic and due to the increasing number of cases in our community. To read the press release CLICK HERE.

Highway Department Hours
Wednesday, May 20, 2020

We are currently in our Summer Hours, which are 6:30am thru 5:00pm Monday thru Thursday.

Main Phone:

321 West 3rd Street, Suite 100 Yankton, SD 57078

Office Hours:
9:00am - 5:00pm CST, Monday-Friday
Closed on Holidays, Saturdays, & Sunday

Yankton County © 2020. Developed by Intuvio Solutions.